We successfully concluded the Netherlands-Japan Roadshow Quantum-Photonics-Nanotechnology on Tuesday 11 October 2022, 13:45-17:30 at Hotel Okura in Tokyo.
The power point slides are available if you send an e-mail to rob[@]hollandinnovation.jp.
The rapid digital transition requires radical high-tech solutions to keep the global social systems running in terms of security, sustainability, economy, health and others. Important parts of these solutions lie in the area of quantum technology, photonics and nanotechnology. The Netherlands and Japan are front runners, in terms of policy, contents and industry-academia collaboration.
The purpose of this Roadshow was to introduce the complex ecosystems in both countries and facilitate discussions for collaboration.
The event was opened by His Royal Highness Constantijn van Oranje, Special Envoy at Techleap.nl.
Updates were given on recent developments and ambitions of the Netherlands, by renowned speakers including Michiel Sweers Deputy Director-General for Enterprise & Innovation of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy, Ewit Roos CEO PhotonDelta, Freeke Heijman Co-founder Director Ecosystem Development QuantumDeltaNL and Raoul Oostenbrink Coordinator Business Cluster Nano PIB-Japan. Both Photon Delta and Quantum Delta NL are seeing public spending of 450M resp 615M euro to further strengthen these ecosystems (National Growth Fund). Shunsuke Okada, Chair, Executive Committee, QSTAR (Executive Officer, Corporate Senior Vice President, Toshiba Corporation) gave a Complementary Speech.
All companies and institutes in the Delegation gave pitches and were available for table discussions (see below for total list).
From Japanese side there were presentations by Koji Yasui, Deputy Program Director of the national SIP program on Photonics and Quantum, Masahiro Kitagawa Program Director of the JST Moonshot Goal #6 (Realization of a foult-tolerant universal quantum computer) and Yuichi Nakamura of the Q-Star consortium (Toshiba and 24 other Japanese companies that are anticipating a quantum era) and others.
The event was closed by a Panel Discussion and a Networking event.
Time & date: 13:45 – 17:30, Tuesday 11 October 2022
Venue: Maple Room, Hotel Okura Tokyo (2-10-4 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo)
Organizers: Netherlands Embassy in Japan, Netherlands Enterprise Agency and PIB-Nano-Japan (a Dutch public-private cluster developing relations with Japan in the field of nanotechnology).
13:15 Registration (seating by priority in registration)
13:45 Welcome and Complementary Speeches
- R.H. Prince Constantijn van Oranje, Special Envoy at Techleap.nl
- Michiel Sweers (Delegation Leader), Deputy Director General for Enterprise & Innovation, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
- Tetsuya Tanaka, Deputy Director-General, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry(METI)
- Shunsuke Okada, Chair, Executive Committee, QSTAR (Executive Officer, Corporate Senior Vice President, Toshiba Corporation)
13:55 Overview presentations:
- Ewit Roos, CEO, PhotonDelta
- Freeke Heijman, Co-founder, Director, Ecosystem Development, Quantum Delta NL
- Raoul Oostenbrink, Coordinator Business Cluster Nano PIB-Japan
14:10 Presentations by
- Masahiro Kitagawa, Program Director, Moonshot Goal 6 (Realization of a foult-tolerant universal quantum computer), JST
- Klaus Boller, Professor, chairholder, University of Twente, MESA+
- Wieteke de Boer, Managing Director, Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute
- Somya Gupta, Innovation and Strategic Partnership Lead, QuTech
- Geert Langereis, Program Manager Health Research, Stichting IMEC Nederland
- Philippe Bouyer, Professor, University of Amsterdam / Quantum Delta NL
14:35 Table discussion (round 1)
14:45 Break and reseating (reseating by priority in registration)
14:55 Presentations by
- Koji Yasui, Deputy Program Director, SIP Photonics and Quantum Technology for Society 5.0 (Senior Chief Technologist, Mitsubishi Electric Group)
- Koen Groenland, Director Q.A Quantum.Amsterdam
- Niels Bultink, CEO, founder QBlox
- Simon Groeblacher, CEO and Professor, QPhox
- Devin Smith, CTO, Quix Quantum
- Sal Jua Bosman, CEO and Founder, Delft Circuits
15:20 Table discussion (round 2)
15:30 Presentations by
- Yuichi Nakamura, Q-STAR (NEC Corporation)
- Rob Voorkamp, CEO, SCIL Nanoimprint solutions
- Jesse Qin-Dregely, CEO, Single Quantum
- Stefano Aina, Chief Commercial Officer, SMART Photonics
- Steven Goetstouwers, CEO Admesy
- Richard Jungman, CEO, MECAL High-tech Systems
15:55 Panel discussion on Netherlands-Japan collaboration for Quantum, Photonics, Nanotechnology
- Moderator: Special Envoy at Techleap.nl
- Panelists: Two Presenters from Japan and two Presenters from the Netherlands (TBC)
16:25 Closing remarks and photo moment
17:30 End of program
Target audience & language: Japanese professionals from government, industry, and knowledge institutes, working on cutting-edge technology in the fields of quantum technology, photonics and nanotechnology. The event will be in English.
Registration: To register, please fill in this form. We will confirm your registration early October.
Background: This Roadshow is part of a Quantum-Photonics-Nano Innovation Mission to Japan from 10 to 14 October. With key government officials, decision makers from various industries, and leading innovators and researchers, the 25+ delegation well represents the Netherlands ecosystem. See here for more information on Delegation, objectives, program etc.
Delegates (in alphbetic order)
- Admesy アドメーシ社
– Business area: light and colour measurement devices
– Ambition toward JP: expansion opportunities & strengthening partner relationships
- BC Nano | PIB-Japan ナノ官民クラスター
– Business area: micro and nanotechnology research, and business development
– Ambition towards JP: promote public-private collaboration and business development
- Delft Circuits デルフト・サーキット社
– Business area: ultra-thin cabling & circuit solutions for emergent quantum industry
– Ambition towards JP: network building and business development
- Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute アイントホーフェン工業大学
– Research area: computing, communication & sensing. Synergy between quantum technology and integrated photonics
– Ambition towards JP: industrial partners for collaboration towards applications
- Mecall High-tech Systems メカル ハイテクシステム社
– Business area: engineering consultancy with integrated OEM product solutions
– Ambition: expansion of co-makers network
- PhotonDelta フォトンデルタ（エコシステム）
- Business area: Integrated photonics; application technology, industrialization & scaling
– Ambition towards JP: ecosystem development
- Qblox キューブロックス社
– Business area: scalable quantum computer control equipment
– Ambition towards JP: help accelerate research in academic and industrial domain
- Qphox キューフォックス社
– Business area: quantum modem & quantum internet
– Ambition towards JP: network building
- Quantum.Amsterdam クワンタム・アムステルダム社
– Business area: setting up connections between (foreign) companies and knowledge institutes around Dutch capital
– Ambition towards JP: network building and business development
- Quantum Delta NL クワンタムデルタ（エコシステム）
– Business area: quantum computing & simulation, quantum network & quantum sensing applications
– Ambition towards JP: R&D collaboration & create joint JP-NL task force
- Quix Quantum クイックス・クワンタム社
– Business area: quantum computing & integrated photonics
– Ambition towards JP: hardware sales & cloud access. Counterparties for improved component development
- QuTech, TU Delft キューテック研究所
– Research area: quantum computing & quantum internet
– Ambition towards JP: build bilateral partnerships & programs
- SCIL Nanoimprint solutions スキル・のインプリント社
– Business area: nanoimprint manufacturing solutions for high-performance optics
– Ambition towards JP: network building with customers, universities, & research institutes
- Single Quantum シングル・クワンタム社
– Business area: photon detection & quantum communication
– Ambition towards JP: photonics & quantum technology
- SMART Photonics スマートフォトニックス社
– Business area: InP Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs), foundry
– Ambition towards JP: network building in the field of optical communication, LiDAR & medical sensing
- Stichting IMEC Nederland IMECオランダ
– Research area: nanoelectronics and digital technologies R&D
– Ambition towards JP: network building in the field of photonics research & system integration
- University of Twente トウェンテ工業大学
– Research area: photonics materials, integrated photonics, quantum processing and security
– Ambition towards JP: network building in the field of hybrid light sources & applications